top of page
Housing Rehabilitation

The North Country Housing  Council is accepting ongoing applications from current homeowners looking for home rehabilitation. We are looking for interested  St. Lawrence County applicants in an anticipated county wide grant for Owner Occupied Rehabilitation. St. Lawrence County has been awarded $850,000 for housing rehabilitation grants for the second phase of its Countywide Housing Rehabilitation Program (CHRP 2). 

According to the US Census, 36.5% of the homes in St Lawrence County were constructed prior to 1939. The darker orange areas of the map (in the footer) show where more than 45% were constructed prior to 1950, the somewhat lighter indicates 30-45%, and the lightest 18-30%.  Differences in the green area, which is Adirondack Park, are not indicated.


Older homes represent “embedded energy.” Energy went into the raw materials and construction. Energy would be required to tear them down, and energy would be consumed in the materials and building of new homes. Housing rehabilitation is the ultimate form of recycling. 

Septic Replacement Reimbursement Grant

Are you a homeowner having septic issues? Do you live within 250 feet of the St Lawrence River, Raquette River, or Little River? NCHC currently has a Septic Replacement Reimbursement Grant available. Only certain townships are approved with this grant. Black Lake is NOT listed as part of this grant.


 Please call the office for an application. If you are approved, the homeowner will need to hire an Engineer to draw up blueprints then hire a contractor to complete the process. Once the job is completed, the homeowner can submit a "Request for Reimbursement" to receive a refund of half of the cost of the project - not to exceed $10,000. Paid in full receipts are required at the time of the Request is submitted. Any work done prior to receiving an approval letter will be denied.


Please call us at 315-386-8576


The rehabilitation grants the Housing Council administers generally specify an eligible locality. They are designed to assist individuals or families which earn up to 80% of the median income in St. Lawrence County.  


Grant funds have assisted homes in the Town of Fowler, Brier Hill, Brasher Falls, Norwood, Norfolk, Russell, Colton, Star Lake, Oswegatchie, Hammond, Canton, Parishville, Pitcairn, Hermon, Southwest Edwards, South Stockholm, and Morristown. 


How to Apply

The first step to apply for a grant is to call the Housing Council at 315-386-8576. The Housing Council will send you an application which you should complete and return. The Housing Council provides housing assistance regardless of an applicant’s race, color, religion, gender, age, disability or familial status. 

Click here to download the 2021 St Lawrence County Housing Council Rehabilitation Grant Application. 

bottom of page